Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Physicist

Thread: Forum Physics Tutor

  1. #1 Forum Physics Tutor 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Due to all the bickering here and the problems its caused with people trying to learn I came up with a suggestion which might help.

    Perhaps we can find someone who the administrators can rely on for knowing physics well enough, or can find the answer easily, to be able to correctly guide all discussions when asked. In logic there is a source of knowledge known as Authority which means an expert other than ones self. No person in a thread can argue that they are right because they are an authority on the subject because they're participating in the argument. But if you have a demonstrated knowledge on the subject then you can be considered an authority. That can't be taken to mean that you know everything though or that you're an expert.

    In my case I can be considered well versed in classical mechanics and special relativity. However that doesn't mean that I know everything about the subject or that I'm flawless. It doesn't even mean that I'm right in all arguments. What it means is that in most cases I know the subject so well that I can easily spot flaws in arguments. I've done this for so long and have worked out so many problems and read so many texts and articles on the subject that I'm almost saturated with the subject.

    I'm no looking for that job though. I'm only using myself as an example to show what you should look for. Make sure they come with references from well known experts in the field too. Several references is preferable.
    Last edited by Physicist; 09-10-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    Scheuerf likes this.
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
    Due to all the bickering here and the problems its caused with people trying to learn I came up with a suggestion which might help.

    Perhaps we can find someone who the administrators can rely on for knowing physics well enough, ...
    This suggestion is periodically floated on many fora, and it just doesn't work. The reason is that there is almost never uniform agreement on who is an omniscient expert. The best method is simply to enforce rules of engagement, so that when the inevitable unresolvable dispute arises, both sides just state their respective cases to the best of their ability, rather than waging a holy war in a futile effort to convince the other party. When the exchanges have devolved to mere repetition, a mod steps in and closes the thread.

    Easy peasy.
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    The reason is that there is almost never uniform agreement on who is an omniscient expert.
    What do you mean "it just doesn't work" if it hasn't even been tried?

    Please recall what I wrote That can't be taken to mean that you know everything though or that you're an expert. I mean that too. And people don't have to agree on who the moderator is or how they resolve the problem. After all, some people in forums such as this claim that even Einstein didn't know what he was doing. I'm referring to someone who comes with references as being a tutor in physics from extremely reliable sources.
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
    What do you mean "it just doesn't work" if it hasn't even been tried?

    What I mean is that folks aren't even able to get through Step 1 -- agreeing on who this expert (or these experts) are to be. If you can't get to there, "it just doesn't work" now, does it?

    That's what I mean.
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    What I mean is that folks aren't even able to get through Step 1 -- agreeing on who this expert (or these experts) are to be. If you can't get to there, "it just doesn't work" now, does it?

    That's what I mean.
    People here wouldn't be required to agree on who the physics moderator would be. And as I keep saying, this is not an expert that we're talking about. I've already said that several times but you seem to be ignoring that fact. I had in mind someone who is a good tutor who comes with good references from, for example, a place like MIT, Harvard. Cal Tech, etc. The administration is the one who determines who they trust. The purpose of this person is to give those members who come here to learn the correct physics and needs a way to determine what parts of the conversation is correct and what's not. They will have a person who the forum admin has determined that is trust worthy because they checked their references.

    A large number of college students use physics tutors to help them with learning physics and they are more ready to take what their tutor says over what people in the forum they frequent says.

    I changed the title of this thread to read Forum Physic Tutor since that's the idea I really had in mind. Talking about it made me realize this.
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    236
    You say not everyone should agree with some sort of master tutor. Who is going to decide who this would be then? I also don't think anyone here or even anywhere should be considered this master tutor that you seem to want to be here. It may be fine that we discuss things here, and yes there is sometimes disagreement. If there were a master tutor, I think she would teach mostly about Freedom of mind and soul, but not necessarily in ways that would be very easily understood, except from the deeper levels of the subconcious understandings of the self illuminating minds, who I suggest already know this for themselves. Sorry to go so philosophic here, but for me personally, the whys outweigh the hows.
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by mayflow
    There are a lot of logical inconsistencies here - You say not everyone should agree with some sort of master tutor.
    That's not what I said. I said that the forum members wouldn't be required to agree which is a major difference. The reason being because it's rarely, if ever, possible to find someone that everyone would accept. In government that's why elections are required to choose officials.

    Keep in mind that such a tutor would only step in when specifically asked to and only to respond to the member who started the thread. They might even only answer in PM. That's something to be determined.

    Quote Originally Posted by mayflow
    Who is going to decide who this would be then?
    That's for the administration to determine since they own the site. I suggested that they could seek out a volunteer who comes with very good references from a good source.

    Quote Originally Posted by mayflow
    I don't think anyone here or even anywhere should be considered this master tutor that you seem to want to be here.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion. If moderators and the administration were selected by forum members then how well do you think that process would work?

    You don't seem to have gotten the idea from what I described above. When a member comes here who doesn't have the understanding required to determine whether the answer they got or the derivation that was given to them was useful, correct or relevant then they can turn to the tutor for help. The benefit of the tutor is that the powers that be here (i.e. the administration) has determined that the person who volunteered to be the tutor has the background and experience as well as the necessary credentials and references to be able to reliably answer the question at hand. This person would not participate in the discussion but only answer to the person who asked the question as to which of all the responses given was the correct one if it wasn't obvious already.

    I never said anything in this entire thread that I have it all worked out so there's more to figure out than what I've said above. First off it's for the admin and moderators to determine if they have an interest in such a person. I won't post again in this thread unless they respond in the positive. After all, what's the sense of talking about something they're not interested in?
     

  8. #8  
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At the foot of Bennachie
    Posts
    67
    Physicist, if you have a specific individual in mind then I suggest you pm Markus, or tk421. Otherwise this will be an ephemeral suggestion that disperses in the breeze.

    Quote Originally Posted by mayflow
    If there were a master tutor, I think she would teach mostly about Freedom of mind and soul,
    If I were to visit a forum that dealt with spiritual matters, or meditation, or the path towards peace, I would not recommend a tutor who could deliver eloquent talks on fractional crystallization in basalt magmas. Nor, would I recommend such an individual as a master tutor on a physics forum. You may wish to reflect on whether or not your suggestion is positive, relevant, or practical.
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite View Post
    Physicist, if you have a specific individual in mind then I suggest you pm Markus, or tk421.
    I made some inquiries already. I'm waiting for a response. I contacted MIT and Boston University to see if any of their graduate students might be interested.

    I'm thinking that the tutor should reply only to the OP in PM only and only when asked. That way nothing gets out of control with too much criticism of what the tutor responded with.
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    From what I've observed all of these years, most of the problems that we face here when we get into a debate come in the form of philosophical disagreements. When it came to real physics debates the problem was almost always rooted in the ignorance of one of the members. So I really don't see where the disagreement comes in as to why a physics tutor would be objectionable. Don't forget what a tutor is, i.e. a teacher who works with one student. And it would be a teacher mind you.

    I'm sure most of you would be shocked to learn that I myself have sterling references to be a physics tutor from several physicist professors at MIT and elsewhere such as Boston University. As such I'm the kind of person you'd be looking for although as I said this is a job I wouldn't take here for private reasons.

    Please describe to me the kinds of problems that you'd foresee in a tutor working here to help students when problems arise, i.e. when a useful thread all of a sudden goes berserk and the OP can't sort out what the correct answer is?
    Last edited by Physicist; 09-11-2014 at 08:22 AM.
     

  11. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    236
    So, Ophiolite. Are you a geologist then?
     

  12. #12  
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At the foot of Bennachie
    Posts
    67
    I trained as a geologist. I work in an engineering field.
     

  13. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    236
    What sort of Engineering do you work in?
     

  14. #14  
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At the foot of Bennachie
    Posts
    67
    Oil and gas - we are getting off topic in Physicists thread. (Apologies physicist) If you have further queries please post them in my introduction thread.
     

  15. #15  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
    ...I'm sure most of you would be shocked to learn that I myself have sterling references to be a physics tutor from several physicist professors at MIT and elsewhere such as Boston University. As such I'm the kind of person you'd be looking for although as I said this is a job I wouldn't take here because my own place will be going online soon.
    And when it does, I hereby volunteer to be your physics tutor. There's a few things I'd like to clear up.
     

  16. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    And when it does, I hereby volunteer to be your physics tutor. There's a few things I'd like to clear up.
    Tutoring is something that must be asked for. It's never to be forced on someone.
     

  17. #17  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    652
    I'm going to quote a couple of PMs to expose the issue here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Physicist
    This kind of remark is quite unwelcome. It's exactly this wiseass comment that I wanted to avoid by never wanting to help out in this fashion here. Nobody likes as smartass in that respect and I don't find that humorous at all. Especially due to your poor understanding of physics. I knew it was a mistake taking you out of my ignore list. You're going right back on it.

    By the way. There are certain people who are automatically banned from my site before it goes up and your one of them. Sorry, John. But you brought this on yourself.
    Physicist is attempting to appoint himself as the authority and the "tutor" for this forum, and absolutely did not see the irony in my post. What we have here is arrogance and hubris, and a total unwillingness to concede that he might be wrong. So much so that he will censor anybody who has the temerity to challenge what he says.

    Such is life.
     

  18. #18  
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At the foot of Bennachie
    Posts
    67
    Moderator Observation: I don't really give a ****. We said the bitchiness has to end. Here you go indulging in it. On top of that your post assumes the mod/admin team are so blooming naive they can't recognise a meerkat in the meerkat enclosure at the zoo. That is insulting. But the main point is you appear not to have got the point: the personal comments stop and they stop now. Two day ban.

    Physicist, I'm locking your thread. We get the idea. We'll consider it when the time is right. Please don't pm me on this. Let's get back to the science. OK?
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •