Notices
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: why derivatives? What does it mean?

  1. #1 why derivatives? What does it mean? 
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2
    Hey guys.

    Can anyone explain to me why we use derivates, what does it give us ? I dont want to hear definition words. Explain to me like you would explain to a child. Simply and straightforward. No fancy words.
    What does the definition of the derivative tell us? Why must we derive a funtion in such way to get the derivative? I understand that "that is what the formula saids". But im not here to only go by the formula. I want to understand. Everything has its reason and im looking for the explanation. Just explain it as simply as possibly.


    Thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by anbak89 View Post
    Hey guys.

    Can anyone explain to me why we use derivates, what does it give us ? I dont want to hear definition words. Explain to me like you would explain to a child. Simply and straightforward. No fancy words.
    What does the definition of the derivative tell us? Why must we derive a funtion in such way to get the derivative? I understand that "that is what the formula saids". But im not here to only go by the formula. I want to understand. Everything has its reason and im looking for the explanation. Just explain it as simply as possibly.


    Thank you
    Let's do it by an example: a car travels the distance in a time interval . The car speed is:

    , agreed?

    When you take the above to the limit when you still get the speed, the INSTANTANEOUS speed of the car. This limit, is nothing else but the derivative of with respect to .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    Let's do it by an example: a car travels the distance in a time interval . The car speed is:

    , agreed?

    When you take the above to the limit when you still get the speed, the INSTANTANEOUS speed of the car. This limit, is nothing else but the derivative of with respect to .
    Ok i understand your example, but I have a question.
    Why do we want 'when limit goes to zero'? ( im on my phone and i cant do the symbol). What does it give us? What is its purpose?

    Thank you for your time
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by anbak89 View Post
    Ok i understand your example, but I have a question.
    Why do we want 'when limit goes to zero'? ( im on my phone and i cant do the symbol). What does it give us? What is its purpose?

    Thank you for your time
    The smaller the interval, the closer to the INSTANTANEOUS speed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •